Top Social

Translation update

Tuesday, April 2, 2019
At last - good news on the translation front. After being worried that the origins of my bowl were becoming more and more unclear, it seems that the frustration and worry were for nothing.

Below I have pasted some of our interaction. 
Dear Ali Beikian, I am currently a student at Durham University. As part of my Objects of Desire module we are required to study an objectin depth and create an audio-visual podcast about it. I haveselected an Iranian bowl and wondered whether you could help translate the inscription on the bowlto help me further my research.Is this something that you would be able to do if I providedsome photographs? Your help would be much appreciated,Kind regards, Maddy
Dear Maddy,Salam.I am so glad to e-meet you.Sure, I would be delighted to help.Could you please send me some photos so that I can see if the inscriptions are legible enough?Best regards,Ali
Dear Ali, Thank you so much, I have attached images of the bowl below. Kind regards, Maddy 
Hi.
Thanks a lot.Both my wife and I examined the inscriptions carefully.We are not sure, as the inscriptions are not that legible, nor do they look like any Persian words! However, we have translated them as the following Arabic sentence(and the same sentence has been repeated round the bowl):لا اله الا اللهIf so, it means "There is no God but Allah".Best regards,Ali

So it appears whilst it may have a slightly different geographical origin, there was no need to worry about forgery or fakery or a dramatically different provenance of the bowl. Instead, as later emails with Ali uncovered, it hints more towards the religious meaning behind the bowl as the text is copied from the Q'aran and hints to the decorative function that the bowl would have served.
Post Comment
Post a Comment